Friday, June 7, 2013

Escape the Cape Triathlon

Last weekend I competed in my first triathlon of the season. It was amazing, and I am nervous that my other triathlons this season will not be able to compare! When I first heard that the Escape the Cape triathlon would start with a jump off the Cape May-Lewes ferry I knew I could not miss this one. I love trying new and exciting things, and this was definitely both.

Waking up at 4:30 Sunday morning I asked myself a question I'm sure many others do, why am I doing this? After reminding myself the answer to that question and how thankful I am to be able to compete, I had my new and improved pre-race breakfast. When we got to the ferry terminal you could feel the energy in the air. Everyone was so excited to be apart of this first time event! I set up my transition area and did my normal pre-race routine. When it was time, we all boarded the ferry with our wetsuits on, rode out .35 miles, and got ready to JUMP!  I only had a split second to look out and appreciate how amazing this experience was, before my friend jumped in. I couldn't let her get too far ahead of me! I loved the swim and felt comfortable in my first race wearing a wetsuit. After exiting the water, we had a long run to the transition. I was able to get my wetsuit off quickly using the advice my friend at ETA coach gave me (check out his website if you are in need of any help related to swimming, biking, or running). Then we had a beautiful ten mile bike ride around Cape May. Parts of the bike ride I felt really strong and fast, but this is still the area I need to improve the most! The run was challenging, the first half mile was on the soft sand. The last half mile was also on the sand along the shoreline. Even though it was hard, how can you not love running beside the ocean?! However, I also loved arriving at the finish line! I got to cheer on my best friend as she completed her very first triathlon. She did amazing, and has some road rash to prove it! Overall, I was happy with my race, and proud that I came in 2nd place in my age group. Like every other type a athlete though, it didn't take long for me to start thinking about my next race, and what I need to do to improve. BIKE! BIKE! BIKE!

Here is a video of the event!

If you are thinking of doing a triathlon this season I highly recommend DelMo Sports. I did the Wildwood and Atlantic City triathlon last year and had a great experience. They think of everything; and carry out not only a great race, but a great experience overall.

Practice swim the day before
My MHWTC jump buddies

Twin Capes
The JUMP!
 My best friend Milena's first triathlon
2nd place!

Lydia and I. She is head of our charity committee 

MHWTC Escape the Cape 2013
We even got to do a little CrossFit

1 comment:

  1. OMG, is that YOU in second place???? You are incredible!! These photos are great. I have so much respect and admiration for you doing an ocean swim AND a jump off a ferry!!

    ReplyDelete